Grande, Bieber, Coldplay headline concert for Manchester victims
Ariana Grande, Justin Bieber, Coldplay and Katy Perry will headline a star-studded concert in Manchester, England to benefit victims of the suicide bombing at Grande’s May 22 concert, organisers have announced.
- Concert to take place at Old Trafford on June 4
- Proceeds are going to We Love Manchester Emergency Fund
- $8.6 million has already been raised
American artists Miley Cyrus, Pharrell Williams and Usher will also perform at the June 4 concert, along with Britain’s One Direction singer Niall Horan and the Manchester-based band Take That.
The benefit will take place at the Old Trafford cricket ground. Proceeds will benefit victims of last week’s suicide bombing at Grande’s show at another venue in the northern English city, the Manchester Arena.
Islamic State claimed credit for the bombing, which killed 22 people and took place moments after Grande finished playing.
All proceeds from Sunday’s “One Love Manchester” concert will go to the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund which was set up by the Manchester City Council in partnership with the British Red Cross.
The fund has already raised more than 5 million pounds ($8.6 million), organisers say.
Grande, 23, is offering free tickets to the concert to all of those who were at her Manchester show on May 22.
The suicide bombing injured more than 100, many of them members of Grande’s large, young female fan base.
Grande was unharmed but she later cancelled several concerts scheduled in London and Europe through until June 5.
Sunday’s show will be broadcast live by BBC television and radio, a statement said.
Grande said in an open letter on her social media accounts last week: “There is nothing I or anyone can do to take away the pain you [her fans] are feeling or to make this better.
“However, I extend my hand and heart and everything I possibly can give to you and yours, should you want or need my help in any way.
“We will not quit or operate in fear. We won’t let this divide us. We won’t let hate win.”
You may be interested
Aboriginal man's family demands answers over death in custodyWebby - Sep 25, 2017
Posted September 25, 2017 18:12:30 The family of an Aboriginal man who died in custody are calling for answers, saying the circumstances leading…
'This is how I die': Woman fears for life after homophobic attackWebby - Sep 25, 2017
Updated September 25, 2017 18:08:59 Photo: Ms Hill said there had been overwhelming support for their rainbow flag display, until the incident on…
Black As returns to Ramingining for second season after 'incredible demand'Webby - Sep 25, 2017
By Mitchell Abram Updated September 25, 2017 17:52:52 Photo: The boys' adventures have attracted a broad audience online. (Supplied: David Batty) Map: Ramingining…